This series provides in-depth training on how to support Kindergarten through 2nd grade students as they develop their biliteracy skills. The sessions will provide an opportunity for participants to explore all four language domains with a focus on reading and writing instruction that is designed specifically for students in a bilingual classroom. Participants will also build a deeper understanding for making metalinguistic connections and integrating sociocultural competence that is necessary for success in the bilingual classroom.
Modules in this course include:
- Las BASES del aula bilingüe (The acronym BASES lays the Foundation for Bilingual Classrooms adapted from ¡Toma la palabra! by Monica Lara) *
- Aprovechar el español (Taking Advantage of the Internal Structure of the Spanish Language) *
- New SLAR TEKS
- Desarrollo de destrezas orales (Oral Skills Development) *
- Ampliando nuestro vocabulario una palabra a la vez (Expanding Our Vocabulary One Word at a Time) *
- Conciencia fonológica (Phonological Awareness) *
- Primeros pasos de la lectoescritura (First Steps of Literacy) *
- Seleccionando textos culturalmente relevantes (Selecting Culturally Relevant Text) *
- Lectoescritura - lectura & escritura interactiva (Literacy Development - Interactive Reading and Writing) *
- Desarrollo metalingüístico en español (Metalinguistic Development in Spanish) *
- El proceso de la escritura (Writing Process) *
- Taller de escritura (Writers Workshop) *
- Lectura guiada (Guided Reading) *
- English Phonics and Phonological Awareness
- Cross-linguistic Connections - Please note that the content of this course applies to similarities between Spanish and English.
* Please note that this course is presented in Spanish.
Individual modules are also available. Check out our e-campus catalog and search for the module you are interested in.